Prev: RE: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: Range Band Adjustments (was RE: Fire Control lock-on)

Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon@g...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:08:57 -0600
Subject: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

Here's another way to handle ECM/Evasion.  Feel free to rip it apart, or
(more likely) just ignore it.

Every ECM/Evasion point provides one (or more) die worth of
damage reduction. This is rolled after movement, but before firing (and
noted on your movement sheet).

The die is the EXACT same as beam dice, and applies to ALL damage
(creating no particular large swing in balance between weapons).

During that turn, you just ignore that amount of damage before you
start crossing off hull boxes (effectively they are temporary hull/armor
boxes).

It involves another round of die rolls, but eliminates the
all-or-nothing
effect that's caused by lock-on rolls, and the fiddliness of modifying
range bands.

I don't think it favors large ships. Small ships should, in fact, be
getting a larger "percentage" of extra damage taking capacity each turn
they evade or use ECM than a comparable large vessel (although
this might be evened out by large vessels having more chances to
evade/use ECM).

It would promote the tactic of high thrust ships accelerating fast than
coasting/evading while they made their attack pass.

And, of course, it's simple.

Daryl