Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: IJN on the loose

Re: Fire Control lock-on

From: Claus Paludan <cpaludan@t...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:14:46 +0200
Subject: Re: Fire Control lock-on

Ground Zero Games wrote:
> Re the suggestions that we introduce some sort of target-size-based
> modifier, I think someone already answered that one - the problem is
> that it reintroduces artificial break points (which were in original
FT2
> but FB1 then disposed of) , eg: if you say that ships up to 50 MASS
(for
> the sake or example) are considered "small", then given the D6-based
> granularity of FT you are going to end up with a situation where a 51
> MASS ship is at least 17% easier to lock-on to than a 50 MASS ship.
Now,
> this doesn't feel right in many ways - but in real gameplay terms, is
it
> actually a problem or not? Yes, such a system would mean that munchkin

> ship designers would always go for ships just under the break-point,
but
> in trying to do so they may well be compromising other aspects of
their
> designs..... I originally dismissed this one out of hand due to the
> break-point argument, but the more I think about it the more I'm
> wondering whether it could be made to work after all...... opinions,
> anyone?

But considering that most aiming/targeting/firing probably wouldn't be
executed by humans but by computers.. do size really matter?? Wouldn't
it be a question of onboard computers having a fairly good idea of where

  enemy ships are when firing. Where as the leftover thrust of the ship
being fired upon could help allow it to negate the fire?

--
With kind regards
Claus Paludan

W-site : http://www.krigsspil.dk - Danish Miniature Wargaming Society
MSN : claus_paludan [at] hotmail.com

Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: IJN on the loose