Prev: Re: [ECC AAR} FMA Sheep Next: Was at the Toy store and

Re: Corrupting, er... converting new players

From: wscottfield@c...
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:21:25 +0000
Subject: Re: Corrupting, er... converting new players

"Don M" wrote:

> if those fail, there is always gun point or my personal method,
> the breeding of your own opponents....

LOL!

> Then I found the DEEP divisions between
> the historical guys (read that as  Napoleonic Anal-Retentive) and
> the Swords and Sorcery and Sci-fi types.

And we won't even talk about the LARPers, card gamers, train gamers...
I guess every subculture has to have it's own sub-cliques.

> The Sci-fi RPG-ers that
> played Traveler or SFB were up for anything at least once

That's been my experience too, maybe because so much TV & movie sci-fi
revolves around space battles that it seems like a normal extention?

> The hook I use on a new crowd is to make the table as visually
> stunning as I can

Agreed, although that *can* backfire.  I've seen gamers walk away from
minis tables muttering "I'd never have the time to build all that!"
Another reason to love FT: two minutes splattering paint on a black
cloth and you've got your "terrain."

Scott
"God bless the LARP-ers; they make the rest of us look normal..."

> The GZG Digest	 Thursday, June 9 2005	       Volume 02 :
Number 2461

> The following subjects are discussed in this issue:
>  -
> RE: [FT] Fun for the end of summer... Re: Bencon 2005 Was: Is
> thereanybodythere.....
> Re: [FT] Fun for the end of summer... Re: Bencon 2005 Was: Is there
anybodyth...
> Re: [FT] Fun for the end of summer... Re: Bencon 2005 Was: Is
thereanybodythe...
> Corrupting, er... converting new players
> Re: Corrupting, er... converting new players
> Re: [ECC AAR} FMA Sheep
>  -
> See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing to the
> GZG digest list, or subscribing to the GZG main list.
>  -

> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:07:08 -0400
> From: "laserlight@quixnet.net" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
> Subject: RE: [FT] Fun for the end of summer... Re: Bencon 2005 Was: Is

> thereanybodythere.....
>
> > >Thanks, guys. I guess I'll HAVE to get going on these
> > local guys so I can
> > avoid making the total fool when trying to FT in Denver.
>
> Chris-the-lamb-abuse schreib on 06/08/2005 10:29:07 AM:
> > Try FTJava.
>
> From: Doug Evans
> >I've heard about you online sharks, trashing and demoralizing the
weak. I'd
> never play again!
> >The_Beast
>
> My Jedi mind powers apparently don't work through FTJava, so you're
safe.
> Safer than if you came to ECC, anyway.
>

> - --------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://mail2web.com/ .
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:25:33 EDT
> From: VinsFullThrust@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [FT] Fun for the end of summer... Re: Bencon 2005 Was: Is
there
> anybodyth...
>
> - -------------------------------1118319933
>

> In a message dated 6/9/2005 6:52:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> devans@nebraska.edu writes:
>
> I've	heard about you online sharks, trashing and demoralizing the
weak.  I'd
> never play again!
>
> The_Beast
>

> What do you mean?
>
> - -------------------------------1118319933

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2745.2800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
> <BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY:=20=
> [...]
solid"><=
> FONT=20
>   style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=3DArial color=3D#000000
size=
> =3D2>I've=20
>   heard about you online sharks, trashing and demoralizing the
weak.=20
>   I'd<BR>never play again!<BR><BR>The_Beast</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
> <DIV></DIV>
> <DIV>What do you mean?</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
>
> - -------------------------------1118319933--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:27:35 EDT
> From: VinsFullThrust@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [FT] Fun for the end of summer... Re: Bencon 2005 Was: Is

> thereanybodythe...
>
> - -------------------------------1118320055
>

> In a message dated 6/9/2005 8:08:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> laserlight@quixnet.net writes:
>
> >  >Thanks, guys. I guess I'll HAVE to get going on these
> > local guys	so I can
> > avoid making the total fool when trying to FT in  Denver.
>
> Chris-the-lamb-abuse schreib on 06/08/2005 10:29:07 AM:
> >  Try FTJava.
>
> From: Doug Evans
> >I've heard about you online	sharks, trashing and demoralizing the
weak. I'd
> never play  again!
> >The_Beast
>
> My Jedi mind powers apparently don't work  through FTJava, so you're
safe.
> Safer than if you came to ECC,  anyway.
>

> Chris my young padawa learner. dont make me use the force, the force
of my
> IJ warships anyway..	LOL
>
> - -------------------------------1118320055

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2745.2800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
> <BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000;
FONT-FAMILY:=20=
> Arial"=20
> bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7><FONT
id=3Drol=
> e_document=20
> face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
> <DIV>
> <DIV>In a message dated 6/9/2005 8:08:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,=20
> laserlight@quixnet.net writes:</DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE=20
> style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px
solid"><=
> FONT=20
>   style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=3DArial color=3D#000000
size=
> =3D2>&gt;=20
>   &gt;Thanks, guys. I guess I'll HAVE to get going on these<BR>&gt;
local gu=
> ys=20
>   so I can<BR>&gt; avoid making the total fool when trying to FT in=20
>   Denver.<BR><BR>Chris-the-lamb-abuse schreib on 06/08/2005 10:29:07
AM:<BR>=
> [...]

whatever.

> Just a thought that seemed to work well enough. Take it or leave it.
>
> Scott
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:32:02 -0500
> From: "Don M" <dmaddox1@hot.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: Corrupting, er... converting new players
>
> Just a thought that seemed to work well enough. Take it or leave it.
>
> Scott
>
> All those are excellent points however, if those fail, there is always

> gun point or my personal method, the breeding of your own
> opponents.... All kidding aside, great job there!
> In my own experience I started wargaming and role playing
> at about the same time with the same group of people. I really didn't
> discover the division between the two venues until reassignments
> broke up our group. Then I found the DEEP divisions between
> the historical guys (read that as  Napoleonic Anal-Retentive) and
> the Swords and Sorcery and Sci-fi types. There were a few who
> crossed over back and forth but, for the most part they just eyed
> each other with suspicion and down right contempt. The exceptions
> to this were naval and W.W.II/Modern land combat guys who role
> played at the games table without even realizing it. Also the guys
> that played that one off odd usually obscure system were open to
> anything......) On the RPG front the D&D crowd were the hardest
> to get into tactical games, which is odd when you consider they
> spent half the time in some sort of melee! The Sci-fi RPG-ers that
> played Traveler or SFB were up for anything at least once, so it
> was all up to your presentation if you kept them or not. The hook
> I use on a new crowd is to make the table as visually stunning as I
> can and do a good back ground fluff read at the beginning.......Seems
> to work on the 40% you end up keeping.......)
>
> Don
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:56:49 +0100
> From: Infojunky <infojunky@ceecom.net>
> Subject: Re: [ECC AAR} FMA Sheep
>
> laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:
>
> > DonM asked:
> > Which Elder God covers the San Fernando Valley?
> >
> > I believe that's "Sheep-niggurath"
>
> You forgot her honorific.
>
> Sheep-niggurath Mallwalker
>
> And her temple, Sheep, Shack and Incomprehension. aka Elder Navy.....
>
> Sorry term just finished, must do something constructive with this
left
> over energy.
>
> - --
> Evyn
>
> "Scientia Est Potentia"
>
> http://ceecom.net

>  -
> in the body of a message to "Majordomo@soda.Berkeley.EDU".
>  -
> A non-digest (direct mail) version of this list is also available; to
> subscribe to that, replace all instances of "gzg-digest"
> in the commands above with "gzg-l", and "unsubscribe" with
"subscribe".

Prev: Re: [ECC AAR} FMA Sheep Next: Was at the Toy store and