Prev: Re: CNN.com - Report: Air Force seeks Bush nod for space weapons - May 18, 2... Next: Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn

Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn

From: ShldWulf@a...
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:51:31 EDT
Subject: Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn

Probably being neither here-nor-there on the subject, but;

I'd understood that the 'major' reason(s) for multiple turreted guns
was:
a. to allow fewer, larger guns while still being able to bring them to
bear
on targets on both sides of the ship, as well as fore/aft fire. (As
opposed to
ships-of-the-line type fixed mounts or casements)
b. to allow each gun to be targeted slightly different in order to
'bracket'
an enemy and therefore increase salvo to-hit chances at range. (I recall
that
Space Opera used the same system for it's nova-cannon shots. You fired
each
salvo and attempted to hit with at least one projector, if you rolled
REALLY
well you hit with more than one)
c. to allow 'off-angle' fire of weapons which allowed ships to present
more
'beam' than 'broadside' so as to decrease to-hit chances for enemy
salvo's.

Personally I just use each 'battery' to mean single or multiple weapons
depending on the 'background' I'm using.

Randy