Prev: RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighter Defenses was Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:05:18 +0200
Subject: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

John Lerchey wrote:

 >So, one thing that I would do, had I both time and energy ( ;) ) would
be
 >to compare that statement with popular sci fi.  No one attacked the
Star
 >Destroyers in Star Wars with *fighters*.

Hm? Check out Lando Calrissian's order in RotJ that the fighters break
off
their attack on Death Star 2 (since the energy shield was still up) and
instead attack the Star Destroyers "to draw their fire off the [rebel]
cruisers"...

Simply put, if the fighters were not a threat to the SDs there would be
no
way in which they *could* draw the SDs' fire off the rebel cruisers -
which
in turn would mean that Lando's order was completely pointless, and all
he
achieved by the order was to expose the fighters under his command to
more
enemy fire than necessary.

 >I'll grant that having 6 PDS could easily make a ship invulerable to
 >fighters.  I'll only stipulate that if that is *appropriate to the FT
 >unvierse*, then it a) does solve the problem of fighters being worth
too
 >much, and b) works within the confines of the system.

It does solve the problem with large numbers of fighters being worth
*too
much*, all right - it makes the fighters worth roughly zero points, thus

eliminating the reason for using them at all. It does *not*, however,
solve
the problem with *small* numbers of fighters being worth *too little*;
instead it makes that part of the problem even worse than it is now.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighter Defenses was Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada