Prev: Re: [OT] Digital Camera Next: Re: The Fighter Problem

Re: The Fighter Problem

From: Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:01:17 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: The Fighter Problem

While I favour a very simple but drastic solution to
the fighter problem (ban them) limiting the number of
squadrons that can attack per turn looks pretty good –
simple and maybe even realistic – as long as we don't
think about it too much.

Instead of a finite limit though if you use too many
groups you just start getting nasty effects instead –
the point defence fire becomes more effective simply
because there are more targets in the target area or a
danger of fighters damaging each other in the fur
ball.

In the old days you could have tied the limit to the
hull class (escort, cruiser, capital) but I don't
think we need to bother about this. The exact number
would have to be worked out by exhaustive playtesting.
A bonus to the number would be a nice perk for races,
advanced fighter types or the like.

It would make close escorts and ADFCs much more
attractive if you attack the ships as a unit rather
than individual ships – again vaguely realistic. Only
when the escorts start going pop do the fighters get a
clear run at the heavies.

Michael

It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of this
has done what he has done.
  - Richelieu

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [OT] Digital Camera Next: Re: The Fighter Problem