Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:03:42 -0500
Subject: RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

>>>Pretty much everybody in my gaming group and multiple people on this
>>>list.
>> Sarcasm my good sir. It was whimsical sarcasm.
>Blasted text... I couldn't see your mischevious grin!

;-)

>>>IMO, an effort should be made for a points system to be able to
balance
>>>campaigns as well as one-off build-n-bring games.
>>Impossible, can't think of one that worked that didn't have an inbuilt
set
>>of implicit or explicit campaign, doctrine, 'technological limits'
rules
>>to go with it.
>Ermm... have you committed the heresy of playing SX?  The initial
>impression I have is that they MIGHT have it right... but then again,
>limited playtesting so far.  We haven't gotten to the point that we can
>start trying to poke holes in the rules yet.

I have to admit that I have not - I will say however that I have yet to
find
a system I *can't* break. If it's not fighters then it will be something
else...

>>>Personally, I like the idea of the Anti-Fighter EMP Buglight - I'm
not
>>>sure how I'd work the idea since ADFC/PDS DD's have always worked
pretty
>>>well for me.
>>I do think that there needs to be more options to dealing with
fighters
>>than just taking fighters yourself... I've long contended that.

I agree to a point. I have yet to see an really convincing argument
saying
that fighters are broken that doesn't devolve down to the '6000 point
one
off game' - that's where every simulation game falls apart without fail.
Combat simulation games that ignore doctrine and strategic 'reality'
really
just tend to fall into the race to see who can find the loophole first.

>>>If fighters are that much of a problem - don't play with them.
>>That would hurt at least one of my regular gaming buddy's feelings
very
>>much... not an option.

Then do what I've done - show up with your regular fleet (one that not
designed to exploit a loophole) set up and then let him play and make it
quite obvious that you don't care that he's going to 'win'. Push the
ships
around in circles, have them sit and send shuttles back and forth, have
them
immediately surrender when faced by his overwhelming force.

Again. And Again. And Again. Why beat your head against the wall?

Force the argument. Either he can play a fleet that makes some sort of
sense, or play scenarios that balance things out, or he can put up with
an
opposing player who is showing up to spend time with his friend - not
actually 'play'...

He'll get the message sooner or later.

David Rodemaker

Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada