Prev: Re: Help! ISO a photograph of 25mm Diemos and Phobos Hover Tanks (or worst case, 1/300th) Next: RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:18:41 +0200
Subject: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Phillip Atcliffe wrote:

>My initial reaction to this is to think that this is putting the cart
>before the horse. Surely it's simpler to have the targetable fighters
>rules as optional add-ons in the way that they are now

Sure, if you're satisfied with the current "rock/scissors/paper" balance

where battles tend to be decided before you ever put any models on the
table. We in the playtest group aren't satisfied with that kind of game
balance, however.

>And, when all's said and done, the effectiveness of massed fighters
does
>reflect historical experience -- not in space, of course, but certainly
in
>terms of wet-navy ships and aircraft.

But space fighters aren't analogous to "wet-navy ships and *aircraft*".
Space fighters move in the same medium as the larger spaceships, and are

only moderately more manoeuvreable; aircraft OTOH move in a completely
different medium to the wet-navy ships and are vastly faster and more
manoeuvrable. The closest wet-navy analogy to space fighters vs
spaceships
is "wet-navy ships and *MTBs*"... and the effectiveness of MTBs isn't
nearly as clear-cut as that of aircraft.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.