Prev: Re: Fwd: RE: [GZGOLC] Comments Please Next: Re: Fwd: RE: [GZGOLC] Comments Please

RE: Beta Fighter game report

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:49:54 +1000
Subject: RE: Beta Fighter game report

Had a thought about it and came up with the following (first draft):

*****
Generic Fighter Rules for FT
Rebuild from ground up.

Assumptions:
d6 system
1 fighter = 1 mass
Beam => 4-5 = 1kill; 6 = 2 kills + beam reroll
Non-Beam => 6 = 1 kill + beam reroll
Turn order is still the same as FB1&2.

Movement:
Fighter movement is conducting in initiative order during the "Move
Ordinance" phase.
Secondary moves are during the "allocate ordinance" phase
Cinematic:
Fighters move using the same rules as Salvo Missiles.  They can move 24
MU
anywhere in their FP/F/FS arc (based on their facing at the start of the
turn).	Facing at the end of the move can be in any direction.
Secondary moves (of 6MU) can only be used to move into base-base contact
with an enemy ship, enemy fighter group or enemy missile salvo.  They
can
choose which direction to attack the target from, but must face the
target
(which determines their facing for the following turns movement).
Fast fighters have a 36 MU primary move (as ERSMs).
Vector:
As per Cinematic, but primary move 24 MU per turn with a 3 MU secondary
move.
As an optional rule, fighters can be moved using vector ship movement
and
are considered to have a MD12.	They still receive the secondary move of
3
MU to attack.
Endurance/Ordinance:
Fighters can purchase one or two ordinance chits to expend during combat
(uses for ordinance are noted in the appropriate section).  This
represents
missiles/bombs and other expendable munitions not integral to the
fighter.
If the fighter group does not have an ordinance chit to expend, it can
only
use the base attack abilities.
Fighters may expend ONE ordinance chit to gain the benefits of Screen-1
for
the turn (or increase their screens by +1 if they already have them).
Furballs and engaged fighter groups:
Whenever two or more enemy Groups are in base-base contact, the entire
dogfight is resolved immediately when any squadron is activated by a
player.
If the fighters are also in base-base contact with a starship, then
groups
attacking the starship can be split off as a separate combat, but all
enemy
Groups must be engaged by at least one friendly squadron each.
Eg.  3 Fighter Groups attack a starship defended by two enemy Groups.
At
least two Groups must engage the enemy squadron and the third can either
attack the starship alone, or assist in the dogfight; it cannot do both.
Allocating Fighter Casualties:
When taking fighter casualties in a furball or anti-ship attack, then
the
defender may allocate which squadron takes the damage.	Damage must be
applied in full to the same squadron (until destroyed) and any left-over
damage is allocated to the next squadron of the defender's choice.
This may result in groups that have already been activated taking
damage,
but both simplifies fighter combat and represents defensive formations
and
other factors abstracted in the game.
Anti-fighter Combat:
Fighters attack other fighters and missiles as follows (in initiative
order):
If in base to base contact (see Furballs and Engaged Targets above):
roll 1
beam die per fighter. If the fighter group expends their ordinance chit,
they receive a +1 DRM to their roll AND ignore any screens on the
fighters.
If not in base to base contact, but within 6 MU of the FP/F/FS arc: roll
1
non-beam die per fighter.
Anti-ship Combat:
Fighters attack starships as follows:
If the group is in base-base contact with the ship: Roll 2 non-beam die
per
fighter.  If the group expends ONE ordinance chit, they roll 2 beam die
instead.  If the group expends TWO ordinance chits, they roll 3 beam die
AND
ignore any screens.
If the group is not in base-base contact with the ship (but still in the
FP/F/FS arc and within 6 MU): roll 1 non-beam die per fighter.	If the
group
expends ONE ordinance chit, they roll 1 beam die instead.
PDS & Ship defences:
PDS:
If the fighter group is in base-base contact: Roll 1 beam die per PDS;
each
point of damage destroys 1 fighter (see Allocating Fighter Casualties
above).
If the fighter group is not in base-base contact, but within 6 MU: roll
1
beam die per PDS, but the fighters benefit from having level-1 screens
(or
increase to level-2 screens if they already had screens).
Non-PDS weapons:
Regardless of whether a fighter group is in base-base contact or not,
any
ship weapons that can fire and have not fired at another ship (beams,
pulse
torpedoes, railguns etc) may roll 1 non-beam die for each  weapon
against
any unengaged enemy fighter group.  Using weapons in this way requires
the
use of 1 firecon (regardless of the number of fighters targeted) that
cannot
also be used against ships.
Morale:
Optional rule:
If your campaign requires the use of morale the following can be used.
For fighter vs fighter attacks, no morale roll is required.
When attacking a starship, count the number of friendly Groups attacking
the
same ship AFTER PDS fire is resolved.  Roll 1d6 per group and total the
roll.  This roll must EXCEED the number of casualties taken by the
entire
group allocated to attack the starship.
If there are defending fighters, the attacker must detach an equal
number of
Groups to "protect" the rest.  These Groups cannot attack the starship,
so
do not count as part of the morale roll.  (See Furballs and Engaged
Fighter
Groups above.)
Eg.  5 Groups are attacking a freighter.  Having previously taken 12
casualties (amongst the various Groups), they roll 5d6 and must roll 13
or
more or break off the attack.
Alternate morale:
If using FMA die-shift morale (where Yellow=d4, Green=d6, Regular=d8
etc),
then use the appropriate die type instead of a d6.  This may result in
mixed
die being rolled, but the principle is still an all-or-nothing attack.
Fighter costs:
Including hanger bay/cargo space, a basic fighter costs 5 points with no
ordinance or upgrades.
ONE endurance = +3 points (Attack/Interceptor fighters)
TWO endurance = +7 points (Long Range or Torpedo fighters)
HEAVY (level 1 screens) = +5 points
FAST (36 MU move) = +3 points

This makes FAST/HEAVY/TORPEDO fighters 120 points per squadron.

****
Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
   for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
   please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
   a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
   and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails

   of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: Re: Fwd: RE: [GZGOLC] Comments Please Next: Re: Fwd: RE: [GZGOLC] Comments Please