Prev: Re: ... and [FT] Japanese Fleet Next: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units

Mostly: [FT] Japanese Fleet with some [SG] Command Suite

From: "Stephane" <maddox@r...>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:23:47 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Mostly: [FT] Japanese Fleet with some [SG] Command Suite

Hi Beast, Richard, Beth,  and Inire:

The Beast Said:
> Really? I thought I'd seen several; I'll try to have a dig, maybe in
the
> list archives.

List archives, what a novel concept... *Bops myself on the head*

> However, I got to looking over the FB, and realized there are similar
> fleets.

Yeah, FB 1 was my benchmark to see if they were too over-the-top
compared to
similar vessels. I can see this fleet getting severely hampered by
anything
with a needle beam or three.

> So, Samurai, Musashi, Shogun, and Akagi are the only ones with
screens, and
> Musashi with two, right?

Right, Big ships with only one screen compensate with Armor plating.

> When you get to making the update, could you see about spliting the
SSD's
> into two pages?

Actually I was thinking about making separate SSD images for each for an
HTML display, and making the visio ship templates available as well when
everything is past alpha-test level. That image is just a quick visio
export to PNG. (Not the greatest resolution in the world)

> Also, I'm having trouble with the .sxc and .sxd format files.

Those are open-office files, I thought M$ office could import them.
Guess
not. :(

> assuming you have no objections to me looking at your campaign
resources, do you have text and
> gif/jpeg/someimagefile files that I can use?

No objection, there should be PDF versions of the campaign resources as
well, but they really won't make sense if you don't have the "Victory by
Any Means" rules ruleset. If the PDFs don't exist I'll produce them and
upload them sometime this week. (Middle of moving the home office, only
the server is networked at this time. :/ )

> I was just filling time so you didn't feel ignored.

I'm all warm and fuzzy! ;)

> I'm beginning to think I saw the same fleet workup at several
different
> places. However, I did notice a Veritech fighter variant that made me
want
> to puke, but might be just the thing for some otaku...

Yeah, I saw that one but I really didn't want to re-create that at all,
and say "The Shogun is really an SDF-3" etc etc.. I didn't like the
veritech thing either.

Richard Kirke Said:
> Good choice, an excellent system!

Verily, now I just have to convince my entourage of that fact. Gamer
Inertia is a terrible thing.

> Vehicle units on the other hand might well deserve a CnC suite. So
perhaps
> combined arms Company and upwards might require the CnC unit to be a
> vehicle.

I was thinking that Company level and higher only would get a Command
vehicle for coordination purposes. I assume that it would have a
tactical
map displaying all friendlies and known threats, etc, etc. In that line
of
thought, I akin-ed it to the Command point expenditures in Heavy Gear
(Which is a fun system too). Those require communication systems as
well.
So as a simile (ooh, I'm using smarty-type wordses), I thought that
shifting up the comm die would be worth the 8 capacity cost for the
vehicle. Of course, the command post would have to be manned for the
benefit.

> I suspect that the capacity listing is more to synchronise SGII with
DSII.

I had thought so, I was just hoping that there was something for SGII as
well.

Beth Said:
> I don't have SG to hand right now, but I can't remeber CnC vehicles
beng
> mentioned expicitly in SG. So I'm guessing you've brought it across
from
> DS

Nope, it's mentionned in the Vehicle construction capacity costs
(only!).
It is used in the NAC Phalanx/C writeup (if memory serves) in the back
of
the book.

> Otherwise it is going to draw a heck of a lot of fire or end up hidden
> up the back well away from the fight. Neiither of which is an ideal
> situation

Yeah, I know. I was just looking for some benefit to sacrificing the 8
capacity. I know my gaming buddies and they'll never in their life field
company command vehicle just because it makes sense. Who needs logic,
right? :/

> I would've expected to see more missiles or fighters further down the
class scale.
> I have this mental image of anime =crap loads of fighters and missiles
;)

That is the correct image of most Sci-Fi giant robot anime. My first
priority was to WYSIWYG the models, and none of the ships have fighter
launch bays except the carriers. The only concession to be able to field
more fighters was to weaken the hull of the carriers. Guns took up most
of
the rest of the space (The Shogun is especially "beamy"). Spinal
"superguns" had priority over missiles for the non-carriers. (If you're
familiar with it, The Nadesico (From Martian Successor Nadesico) had a
spinal supergun and only 4 Mech "fighters" for defense.) That became my
template for the fleet, big guns, negligeable fighters.

> probably wouldn't have made the SDN and CVH speed 2

Oh you don't know how I hated doing that! But mass had to go somewhere
else. And anyway the model engines don't actually change between the BDN
and SDN. The size of the foreward part of the shogun SDN indicated to me
that it would have to be less maneuverable than the BDN. The CVH has a
similar prow and engines so it had to have similar thrust. At least
that's
what I keep telling myself when I see that "2" on the SSD.

Inire said:
> woah...did we just catch chatter from the IJSF playtest??

Nope, I'm not associated with any playtests. I just wanted to create a
WYSIWYG fleet for the Japanese Fleet, since those are the models that
spoke to me the most. (Which I of course promptly purchased :D )

Sir Didymus
--
George Orwell was an optimist.

Prev: Re: ... and [FT] Japanese Fleet Next: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units