Prev: Re: OT: A bit of ECC Humor Next: RE: OT: A bit of ECC Humor

Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

From: Infojunky <infojunky@c...>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:44:11 +0100
Subject: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Finally, a comment for Infojunky: There aren't that many pure infantry

> military actions left nowadays, unless you look at conflicts like the
> Afghani civil war prior to US involvement or the war between Eritrea
and
> Ethiopia.

Yes I agree with you there, and for open field battles SG2 is not the
rule set, you can use them, but the force management and tactical issue
snowball very quickly.

> As soon as any western power gets involved, even small-scale
> actions in close urban terrain tend to involve armoured (or at least
> protected) vehicles - and in wartime, these vehicles are very rarely
> limited to the speed of crawling grunts.

Yes, but neither are they moving at a constant speeds in excess of the
infantry, Though there are points where they will out run or charge
ahead to provide cover for their supporting troops. In these situations
the rules are lacking. That is the genesis of the various solutions
covering movement and fire and activations.

> Police work during (nominal)
> peacetime in (supposedly) friendly areas could easily be different, of

> course; since so few police forces use our products I tend to see a
lot
> more military AARs than police ones.

At least here in the US it was surprising how often skills learning in
the jungle where required for safe operations in urban areas. Police
work actually require far greater risks than close order fire combat,
the number of times I wished for a armored vehicle support when making a

traffic stop on a dark desert night with no backup.

--
Evyn

"Scientia Est Potentia"

http://ceecom.net

Prev: Re: OT: A bit of ECC Humor Next: RE: OT: A bit of ECC Humor