Prev: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/? Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:36:04 +0200
Subject: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

Indy wrote:

> >>4. At the same time as GMS/P and IAVR aren't sharp enough, vehicles
> should have >>PDS and decoys should be better understood as should
> various variant armour types.
> >
> >Oerjan and I talked extensively about reactive armour. I, like most
> >folks, had a pretty antiquated view of reactive armour. At any rate,
[...]
>So, out of curiousity, what is our antiquated view, and what should it
>be corrected to? :-)

For starters, the view (used eg. by DS2) that reactive armour is
effective
against HEAT warheads but has no effect against KE projectiles. That
*used*
to be the case 20-30 years ago; but nowadays it can just as easily be
the
other way around - some current types of RA are very effective against
KE
(especially APFSDS), while tandem HEAT warheads are usually pretty good
at
negating RA (some more so than others)... and of course there are new
RA-resistant KE projectiles underway, and new RAs capable of handling
the
more advanced tandem HEAT warheads. No doubt there will soon be new
improved anti-KE RAs and similarly improved RA-negating HEATs. It all
depends on where in the weapon-vs-armour arms race development cycle you

happen to be at the moment :-/

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/? Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?