Prev: Re: Beta Fighter game report Next: Re: Beta Fighter game report

RE: Beta Fighter game report

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:34:16 -0600
Subject: RE: Beta Fighter game report

> > It's a problem of vector movement,
>
> In the FT context, it is equally a problem with
> cinematic movement.
>
> The solutions would appear to be:
> a) put a speed limit on everything (eg because of
> the density of the
> luminiferous aether)
> b) allow gravel clouds or similar defenses
> c) break the turn's fire and movement into
> increments so that
> high-speed ships aren't miraculously immune to fire
>
> Of course, the first two are non-generic
>
>The only other way to deal with this is no fixed
>structures?  Any other solutions present themselves?

I've always used minefields.

To quote Full Thrust - "...the detection range of a Mine is 3"; any
enemy
vessel that enters this radius from the Mine marker (at ANY [emphasis
St.
Jon] point during its movement, not just at the END [ditto] of its move)
will be detected and fired upon..."

A very plausible PSB is that most important governmental facilities, if
not
all military installations, are surrounded by a very dense minefield -
and
that either they have excellent IFF systems (as stated in the rules), or
are
set to go off when items of x-mass or larger moving at x-speed pass by,
or
both.

Frankly, I've never seen this as much of a problem in a campaign setting
-
except when someone has a great attachment to the idea and then doesn't
want
to allow the group to look at the rules and come up with a logical
extrapolation of the 'technology' to explain why such a thing doesn't
occur
regularly.

The above solution is a simple and elegant, as well as resolved within
the
rules. There's the chance that a ship can make it through the minefield
unscathed, if a small chance, so it's still a viable option especially
if
used as part of a wave of suicide attacks.

David

Prev: Re: Beta Fighter game report Next: Re: Beta Fighter game report