Prev: Re: Beta Fighter game report Next: Re: Beta Fighter game report

Re: Beta Fighter game report

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@c...>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:48:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Beta Fighter game report

Leszek Karlik wrote:
>> Nope. It is a very real problem which has already wrecked several
Full
>> Thrust campaigns.
>
> It's a problem of vector movement, because if you have vector
> movement, you can always use hypervelocity scout ships for MAD
> strikes. Either say they're unmanned or join the Islamic Federation
> and train suicide pilots ;->
>
> This problem is unsolvable by game rules, because it's a problem of
> physics - if you have vector movement, you can acumulate speed.
> Having game rules that artificially prohibit it is akin to having
> a game of global diplomacy and warfare in 21st century that has no
> nukes whatsoever.

	Well, if I may be allowed to interject my two cents here,
	it is solvable or unsolvable the same way hypervelocity
	ships are in the real world.

	You see, unlike the real world, Full Thrust ships
	have no fuel limitations.  NASA does not build
	0.1c space probes because they do not have the
	technology to build a probe with a large enough
	mass ratio (which is partially due to the pathetic
	specific impulses of current propulsion systems)

	Keith Watt had an amusing fuel system for Full Thrust,
	gone from the web but still in the Wayback Machine.

Fuel Consumption for Full Thrust
http://web.archive.org/web/20010803015137/exodusproject.com/Fuel.htm

Calculating Propulsion Systems
http://web.archive.org/web/20010803014716/exodusproject.com/Engines.htm

Full Thrust in his Exodus Project campaign
http://web.archive.org/web/20010803014909/exodusproject.com/FTExodus.htm

	He also had a Adobe Photoshop template that would allow one
	to print a Full Thrust SSD on one side of a playing card
	sized paper, and check boxes for fuel consumption rule
	on the flipside.

Prev: Re: Beta Fighter game report Next: Re: Beta Fighter game report