Prev: RE: [OT notice] Glue for plastic to metal? Next: RE: [OT notice] Glue for plastic to metal?

RE: [OT notice] Glue for plastic to metal?

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:06:53 -0700
Subject: RE: [OT notice] Glue for plastic to metal?

Surface area and roughness also play a role in adhesion, so make sure
you lightly sand the surfaces you are going glue together or possibly
build up more surface area using one of the epoxy putties.

For my multi-media (resin/plastic/pewter) models I usually go with epoxy
as I find that superglue is a bit brittle.  There is the additional
problem that if the model is exposed to a range of temperature
conditions - i.e. 70 degree room to freezing trunk of car, attached
items like spears, guns, turrets or tracks will pop off due to the
differential contraction between the metal and the plastic.

In general I find that 5-minute epoxy is adequate and useful as you can
wait 2-3 minutes and it forms a thicker gel that you can then apply to
the section you want without it running away on you.  The down side is
that you only have a minute to apply the piece and clean off the excess
before it becomes a gooey mess.

--Binhan