Prev: Re: WoC Raw Footage Next: Re: New weapons from Beta Test fleets

Re: Fixing salvo missiles

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:22:26 +0100
Subject: Re: Fixing salvo missiles

Jared Hilal wrote:

 >Idea #2)
 >Salvo Missile Racks are really underutilized.

Like Laserlight said, underutilized *by whom*?

Among the custom designs I've collected so far from all over the planet
SMRs are about as common as SMLs, and many players have asked us why
anyone
would use SM*L*s when the SMRs are have such obviously advantages:
higher
launch rate (gives better chance to overwhelm target point defences),
and
lower vulnerability to threshold checks (so the SMR salvo is rather more

likely to be launched at all rather than the magazine-stored SM is).

In fact, I can't recall anyone else claiming that SMRs are too *weak*
compared to SMLs... though please note that I'm *not* saying that you're

wrong in the context of your gaming group, only that many other groups
have
reached quite different conclusions than you have.

 >To encourage their use,
 >change SMR to 3 MASS & 12 PV (4 per MASS) or 15 PV (5 per MASS)

Unless your missile boats are thrust-8 or faster, Mass 3, cost 15 makes
the
SMRs *more* expensive overall than Mass 4, cost 12. Mass 3, cost 12
gives
them a bit of a rebate, though in light of what I wrote above I'm not at

all convinced that it is necessary.

 >Idea #5)
 >change SM magazine to 3 MASS for 1st salvo, +2 MASS for second
 >salvo, +1 MASS per additional salvo, and 6 PV per salvo.

So the 9-salvo magazine aboard the FSE Foch-class ships would have a
Mass
of 12 instead of 18 and the 6-salvo magazine on the Roma-class drops
from
12 to 9 Mass? That's nice, but I'm not sure how it fits together with
your
above statement that SM*R*s are underutilized (unless this SML-magazine
Mass progression is what *causes* the SMRs to be underutilized in your
gaming group?).

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: WoC Raw Footage Next: Re: New weapons from Beta Test fleets