Prev: RE: Testing for life Next: RE: Fixing salvo missiles

RE: Beta Fighter game report

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:45:37 +1100
Subject: RE: Beta Fighter game report

G'day,

Thanks forletting us know how it went.

> 1)  The new rules may work OK for small numbers of fighters, but they
> slowed the game down a LOT for the numbers of fighters that we use.
> This is were I think the rules broke.  The primary problem here is
that
> the player has to decide on level of evasion for each fighter group,
> plus this has to be remembered or recorded to be used latter in the
> turn.  Just one player who devotes a lot to such descisions really
hold
> up the game.	More than one such player would bring the game to a
halt.

Was this because you had deep thinkers or were getting used to the new
rules. The moreoften we've played with these rules the faster they go
and we nowplay games in a 3rd of the time itvtook with the old fighter
rules.

> You also have to remember to refer to the records for each group
> attacked...

I must admit to being a stochast rather than determinist so an biased on
the fixed modifer side of things. As to remembering to refer to the
sheet you had to do that under the old CEF system anyway. Moreover I
think this also a familiarity thing and becomes second nature fairly
quickly.

> 3)  The new rules do not address the problem of fixed movement values
> for fighters.

Do you mean they should be able to have "ship-like" movement with regard
to accumulating speed?

> 4)  The new rules require the use of CEF in the combat resolution.

Derek and I have dealt with this by giving fighter types/settings where
fighters hang around for longer more endurance (and if you're in a
setting where main guns can't target fighters fullstop give them
unlimited endurance, that will mean the points aren't as balanced but
you'll get the effects you're after and often are wars evenly balanced
anyway? ;))

If its not too much of a stress I'd try giving it a few more goes, see
if the speed picks up and whether you can get "around" the bits you
don't like for the settings you like to play by revising your house
rules to match. I'd be surprised if anyone's houserules survived intact
through the revision, but as the fighters play now more like little
ships I think that the improved flow and easy way to fillin between
"fighter" and "scout" without too sharp a discontinuity might open
opportunities for more small craft like bombers (which may be a good
opening for the ordinance stuff you brought up).

Cheers

Beth

Prev: RE: Testing for life Next: RE: Fixing salvo missiles