Prev: Re: OT: still seeing spam Next: Re: Indy You Evil Genus!

Re: OT: still seeing spam

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:19:08 +0000
Subject: Re: OT: still seeing spam

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:37:19PM +0000, David Brewer wrote:

>I'm getting them too, but I don't think they are passing as
>regular list-mail. If I read the headers correctly (I'm no
>expert), it isn't going via the majordomo list traffic but cuts
>into the csua.b.e bulk mailing program that the majordomo list
>uses.

That's consistent with what I'm seeing - they aren't carrying the

Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

header that all legitimate list traffic does, so they aren't getting
included in the web archive (which happens before spam-filtering just
in case someone posts something spamlike but legitimate to the list),
but they _are_ still being received from scotch. Looks as though the
spammer is exploiting a vulnerability in the majordomo configuration to
address mail directly to the "gzg-l-outgoing" list alias.

Roger

Prev: Re: OT: still seeing spam Next: Re: Indy You Evil Genus!