Prev: Re: OT: still seeing spam Next: Re: OT: still seeing spam

Re: War of the Worlds -- Martian Technology

From: Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:56:37 +1100
Subject: Re: War of the Worlds -- Martian Technology

John C wrote:

> Don't remember any airships in the book, but what can you do?

Yes, Virginia, there *are* flying machines. Or at least, one.

 From the e-book version at
http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/warworlds/warw.html

Everyone's got the tripod movement wrong :

"A monstrous tripod, higher than many houses, striding over the young
pine trees, and smashing them aside in its career; a walking engine of
glittering metal, striding now across the heather; articulate ropes of
steel dangling from it, and the clattering tumult of its passage
mingling with the riot of the thunder. A flash, and it came out vividly,

heeling over one way with two feet in the air, to vanish and reappear
almost instantly as it seemed, with the next flash, a hundred yards
nearer. Can you imagine a milking stool tilted and bowled violently
along the ground?"

The legs *aren't articulated" when it moves in sprint mode.

Imagine a 3-legged barstool. Tilt it so it balances on one leg, then
rotate it so another leg hits the ground, rotate more till it's balanced

on one leg again. Repeat every second, then scale up by a factor of 30.

The legs *are articulated* when it raises and lowers itself, and
probably when it walks - it's described as "walking", "striding" etc.

"The knees of its foremost legs bent at the farther bank, and in another

moment it had raised itself to its full height again, close to the
village of Shepperton."

They're about 30 metres tall, and move at 150 kp/h.

"They were described as 'vast spiderlike machines, nearly a hundred feet

high, capable of the speed of an express train, and able to shoot out a
beam of intense heat.' "

The fastest Express trains of the period could do nearly 200 kp/h.

As for "Flying Machines"

"The sun sank into grey clouds, the sky flushed and darkened, the
evening star trembled into sight. It was deep twilight when the captain
cried out and pointed. My brother strained his eyes. Something rushed up

into the sky out of the greyness--rushed slantingly upward and very
swiftly into the luminous clearness above the clouds in the western sky;

something flat and broad, and very large, that swept round in a vast
curve, grew smaller, sank slowly, and vanished again into the grey
mystery of the night. And as it flew it rained down darkness upon the
land."

The original illustrations in the Strand Magazine show something like an

enlarged Lillienthal glider, and are reminiscent of a Wright Flyer writ
large - but hidden in darkness, its shape is only suggested.

The War Machines weren't the only Martian devices :

"The mechanism it certainly was that held my attention first. It was one

of those complicated fabrics that have since been called
handling-machines, and the study of which has already given such an
enormous impetus to terrestrial invention. As it dawned upon me first,
it presented a sort of metallic spider with five jointed, agile legs,
and with an extraordinary number of jointed levers, bars, and reaching
and clutching tentacles about its body. Most of its arms were retracted,

but with three long tentacles it was fishing out a number of rods,
plates, and bars which lined the covering and apparently strengthened
the walls of the cylinder. These, as it extracted them, were lifted out
and deposited upon a level surface of earth behind it.

Its motion was so swift, complex, and perfect that at first I did not
see it as a machine, in spite of its metallic glitter. The
fighting-machines were co-ordinated and animated to an extraordinary
pitch, but nothing to compare with this. People who have never seen
these structures, and have only the ill-imagined efforts of artists or
the imperfect descriptions of such eye-witnesses as myself to go upon,
scarcely realise that living quality.

I recall particularly the illustration of one of the first pamphlets to
give a consecutive account of the war. The artist had evidently made a
hasty study of one of the fighting-machines, and there his knowledge
ended. He presented them as tilted, stiff tripods, without either
flexibility or subtlety, and with an altogether misleading monotony of
effect. The pamphlet containing these renderings had a considerable
vogue, and I mention them here simply to warn the reader against the
impression they may have created. They were no more like the Martians I
saw in action than a Dutch doll is like a human being. To my mind, the
pamphlet would have been much better without them."

As for wheels:

"And of their appliances, perhaps nothing is more wonderful to a man
than the curious fact that what is the dominant feature of almost all
human devices in mechanism is absent--the wheel is absent; among all the

things they brought to earth there is no trace or suggestion of their
use of wheels. One would have at least expected it in locomotion. And in

this connection it is curious to remark that even on this earth Nature
has never hit upon the wheel, or has preferred other expedients to its
development. And not only did the Martians either not know of (which is
incredible), or abstain from, the wheel, but in their apparatus
singularly little use is made of the fixed pivot or relatively fixed
pivot, with circular motions thereabout confined to one plane. Almost
all the joints of the machinery present a complicated system of sliding
parts moving over small but beautifully curved friction bearings. And
while upon this matter of detail, it is remarkable that the long
leverages of their machines are in most cases actuated by a sort of sham

musculature of the disks in an elastic sheath; these disks become
polarised and drawn closely and powerfully together when traversed by a
current of electricity. In this way the curious parallelism to animal
motions, which was so striking and disturbing to the human beholder, was

attained. Such quasi-muscles abounded in the crablike handling-machine
which, on my first peeping out of the slit, I watched unpacking the
cylinder. It seemed infinitely more alive than the actual Martians lying

beyond it in the sunset light, panting, stirring ineffectual tentacles,
and moving feebly after their vast journey across space."

Martians may also use Robots, or RPVs :

"When I looked again, the busy handling-machine had already put together

several of the pieces of apparatus it had taken out of the cylinder into

a shape having an unmistakable likeness to its own; and down on the left

a busy little digging mechanism had come into view, emitting jets of
green vapour and working its way round the pit, excavating and embanking

in a methodical and discriminating manner. This it was which had caused
the regular beating noise, and the rhythmic shocks that had kept our
ruinous refuge quivering. It piped and whistled as it worked. So far as
I could see, the thing was without a directing Martian at all."

They have mastered the extraction of Aluminium from Aluminium Silicate
(clay)
"After a long time I ventured back to the peephole, to find that the
new-comers had been reinforced by the occupants of no fewer than three
of the fighting-machines. These last had brought with them certain fresh

appliances that stood in an orderly manner about the cylinder. The
second handling-machine was now completed, and was busied in serving one

of the novel contrivances the big machine had brought. This was a body
resembling a milk can in its general form, above which oscillated a
pear-shaped receptacle, and from which a stream of white powder flowed
into a circular basin below.

The oscillatory motion was imparted to this by one tentacle of the
handling-machine. With two spatulate hands the handling-machine was
digging out and flinging masses of clay into the pear-shaped receptacle
above, while with another arm it periodically opened a door and removed
rusty and blackened clinkers from the middle part of the machine.
Another steely tentacle directed the powder from the basin along a
ribbed channel towards some receiver that was hidden from me by the
mound of bluish dust. From this unseen receiver a little thread of green

smoke rose vertically into the quiet air. As I looked, the
handling-machine, with a faint and musical clinking, extended,
telescopic fashion, a tentacle that had been a moment before a mere
blunt projection, until its end was hidden behind the mound of clay. In
another second it had lifted a bar of white aluminium into sight,
untarnished as yet, and shining dazzlingly, and deposited it in a
growing stack of bars that stood at the side of the pit. Between sunset
and starlight this dexterous machine must have made more than a hundred
such bars out of the crude clay, and the mound of bluish dust rose
steadily until it topped the side of the pit."

Note that at the time, Aluminium was so expensive they used it on top of

the Washington Monument instead of the *cheaper* silver.

Finally... more about the Flying Machine:

"Across the pit on its farther lip, flat and vast and strange, lay the
great flying-machine with which they had been experimenting upon our
denser atmosphere when decay and death arrested them. Death had come not

a day too soon."

--
Alan & Carmel Brain
http://aebrain.blogspot.com

Prev: Re: OT: still seeing spam Next: Re: OT: still seeing spam