Prev: Re: [OT] Browsers & software... (was test) Next: Re: [OT]Opera

Re: test

From: Kevin Balentine <kevinbalentine@c...>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:18:39 -0600
Subject: Re: test

Allan Goodall wrote:

> I'm very happy with Thunderbird. Like Kevin, I used to use Pegasus. I
> didn't have the crash issues, but I didn't like the fact that Pegasus
is
> slow if there are a lot of messages in the inbox.

Thunderbird works fast, and with the size of some of the emails I get,
that's a real bonus.

> I downloaded Opera, but I haven't done much with it. Opera displays
> and since I have low bandwidth at home it's a non-starter for me. I'm
> quite happy with Firefox.

I downloaded Opera, but like you said, I think the viewing area does
look really small, and I can't see spending money on it to get rid of
the ad when Firefox works for me.

> Like Kevin (hey, Kevin, have you been following me around the Net?) I
am
> using OpenOffice a lot these days. It can create native Word and Excel

> files.

Maybe I have been following you :-) My last computer went belly up last
weekend (the hard drive decided it couldn't go on any longer). I bought
that machine from a flea market (First Saturday in Dallas if that means
anything to anyone) and it had a ton of software on it, including
Microsoft Office. I needed to be able to make Powerpoints for projects,
but I couldn't afford to buy Office, so I did a search for a substitute
and came up with OpenOffice. It's working great for me and my wife.

> I have noticed some quirks. I'm doing a conversion of HarnMaster
> for Call of Cthulhu

That sounds very interesting.

> To drag this on topic, anyone creating Excel utilities for FT, etc.
> should probably test them in OpenOffice, too, for cross system
> functionality.

So far all of the Excel files I had before (finances and an FMA tracker
for a local campaign) have transferred in with no problems at all.

Kevin

Prev: Re: [OT] Browsers & software... (was test) Next: Re: [OT]Opera