Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Latest List

[VV] Vectorverse -- Latest List

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:35:10 -0500
Subject: [VV] Vectorverse -- Latest List

List date: 2-9-2005 7:30pm EST

Anything that needs to be added?

How about a list of things agreed to so far?
(Ie: those things in common consensus...I think.)

Setting Details:
Setting name: Vector Verse    --(laserlight)
Message filter: [VV]   --(Brendan)
Thread Location: gzg-l main list   --(laserlight)
Content: As original as possible.   --(Donald Hosford / laserlight)

Setting Notes:
Earth: Non existant.  (Setting not related to GZG Timeline.)
Aliens: Humans only.
Ancients/Old ones: None.   --(laserlight / Brendan)

Tech: Existing tech only.  (Ie: no living tech....)   --(laserlight)
Movement: Vector only.	  --(laserlight)
Nations at different tech levels.   --(laserlight)
   First Tier -- Highest tech available.
   Second Tier -- Middle of the road.
   Third Tier -- Lowest space travel/battling nations.

FTL drive:  Two or more methods.   --(Several.)
FTL Types:
   Jump drive -- instant
   Hyperdrive -- basic Hyperspace.
   Stargate/Wormhole network -- think starfire.
   Stargates / single bubble.	 --(Allan Goodall)
   Drives with limited area usage, but faster speed.

History notes:
"Long night" --(Mike / Donald Hosford)
Suggests that a large star nation existed in the past.	Anywhere upto a
1000 years ago.  It controlled a sizable area.	Maybe a sizable piece
of  the galaxy.  Many worlds were settled.  This nation collapsed. The
reason can be "lost in the mists of time".  The various nations in the
setting were some of these former colony worlds that have reemerged from

the long night and set up new nations.

Could be also that the "explore the galaxy" phase is long over.  ie:
very few unused worlds...
Still lots of room for all kinds of nations.

 >>Colonisation method: ?? (Cryosleep, generation ships, prison
transport, wealthy businessmen, greedy corporations)
Any of the above, far enough back in history

 >>Galactic Economy: ?? (by this I mean what is the most valuable
resource? Water?  Oxygen? Unobtainium?)
I'm thinking Tier 2 has gone into biology at the price of neglecting
physics and materals sciences.	So Tier 1 sells weapons and power
systems
to Tier 1, and buys pharmaceuticals and perhaps gene-engineered people.

 >>What is the imperative for expansion: ?? (population pressure, lack
of resources, interspecies war)
No "interspecies", we're only talking about humans.  Your other two
reasons are identical to each other.

 >>What level of automation will starships have: ?? (FB standard 1 man
per mass, 5,000 men to man a destroyer, etc).
Perhaps 1/mass for civilians and, oh, something like 4/mass for
military. Just pulling numbers from the aether at the moment.  10/mass
is too high.

Say Mike?
Your email address says mwbrown, but the message is from Katrina, and
signed Mike...Which name should I put down?
mwbrown@sonic.net

Will just Mike do?

Thanks

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Latest List