Prev: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs Next: RE: [VV] Organics and other flavoring - RE: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:38:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:19:16 +1100, Beth.Fulton@csiro.au
<Beth.Fulton@csiro.au> wrote:
> G'day again,
>
> One final question for the tank literate out there, in reading about
the
> Leopard 2A6 I saw it can fire sabot rounds at helicopters. I'm
assuming
> that most modern tanks can fire at helicopters right? I don't just
mean
> missiles I mean direct fire of sabot rounds (or is that the same thing
> and I've got myself mixed up).

Depends.  I guarantee the Leopard can't fire at a crossing target, no
tank can rotate the turret that quickly.  And for a head-on target or
a slowly moving helo, any modern tank (Challenger, Abrams, Leopard,
possibly LeClerc) can nail them.  The Israeli Merkavas have killed
choppers in Lebanon.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs Next: RE: [VV] Organics and other flavoring - RE: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?