Prev: Re: [VV] Gate defence Next: [semi-VV] Multiple resources - was RE: Game balance

Re: UNSC ships

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:02:58 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: UNSC ships

> >On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:12:17 -0600, Dean Gundberg
> ><Dean.Gundberg@noridian.com> wrote:
> >>  > Anyone got any advice on how to build these so they're solid?
The
> >>  > multi-parts on some of the bigger ships are a real nightmare. i
keep on
> >>  > wondering if I should drill and pin them.
> >>
> >>  That is what I did.  My big UNSC ships all have a brass rod as a
spine to
> >>  keep them solid.	It wasn't easy to get the hole all the way
through some of
> >>  the parts but I made it work.  Now that I have a drillpress, it
would be
> >>  easier if I had to do it again.
> >
> >I haven't assembled any of the larger ships, my biggest one is the
> >CVL. At the same time however, I've just glued the boats together
with
> >some superglue from Games Workshop (only decently priced product of
> >theirs that actually delivers!) and I've found them to be
> >particularily sturdy models.
>

> On our display stand ones (which admittedly don't get handled in
> games, but they DO get vigorously shaken around in the back of the
> van to and from every show!), there is no pinning at all - they are
> assembled straight from the casting machine using a good thickish
> superglue. That said, I am now very much an advocate of using
> superglue accelerator - the aerosol stuff that you squirt sparingly
> on to one part, put the glue on the other, bang 'em together and
> ZAP!!, they're stuck solid - just like we all used to assume that
> superglue was SUPPOSED to work when it was first introduced!	<G>
> I put the new NI ships together for the photos and displays with this
> stuff, and I'm now wondering how I ever managed without it....
>
> Jon (GZG)

   I don't pin them either.  I use a 5 minute, 2 part epoxy to attach
the
 pieces one at a time.	Sometimes it takes a couple of tries, but
eventually
 they seem to be tightly bonded.  Getting them aligned correctly
though....

  grant

Prev: Re: [VV] Gate defence Next: [semi-VV] Multiple resources - was RE: Game balance