Prev: RE: [VV] Organics and other flavoring - RE: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far? Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #2320

Re: UNSC ships

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:33:30 +0000
Subject: Re: UNSC ships

>On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:12:17 -0600, Dean Gundberg
><Dean.Gundberg@noridian.com> wrote:
>>  > Anyone got any advice on how to build these so they're solid? The
>>  > multi-parts on some of the bigger ships are a real nightmare. i
keep on
>>  > wondering if I should drill and pin them.
>>
>>  That is what I did.  My big UNSC ships all have a brass rod as a
spine to
>>  keep them solid.  It wasn't easy to get the hole all the way through
some of
>>  the parts but I made it work.  Now that I have a drillpress, it
would be
>>  easier if I had to do it again.
>
>I haven't assembled any of the larger ships, my biggest one is the
>CVL. At the same time however, I've just glued the boats together with
>some superglue from Games Workshop (only decently priced product of
>theirs that actually delivers!) and I've found them to be
>particularily sturdy models.

On our display stand ones (which admittedly don't get handled in
games, but they DO get vigorously shaken around in the back of the
van to and from every show!), there is no pinning at all - they are
assembled straight from the casting machine using a good thickish
superglue. That said, I am now very much an advocate of using
superglue accelerator - the aerosol stuff that you squirt sparingly
on to one part, put the glue on the other, bang 'em together and
ZAP!!, they're stuck solid - just like we all used to assume that
superglue was SUPPOSED to work when it was first introduced!  <G>
I put the new NI ships together for the photos and displays with this
stuff, and I'm now wondering how I ever managed without it....

Jon (GZG)