Prev: Current vehicle production/use (was [VV] Vectorverse) Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian@s...>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:06:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

Ryan and John chatted:

>>Yet almost every nation on the planet with significant land area
>>except Canada owns tanks.
>
>Why would Canada need tanks when they've got us to protect them? ;-)

Protect us from who?

Canada has a grand total of *zero* likely state enemies in the near (or
mid) future who we would be fighting *here*, except maybe the odd rogue
dictator in somewhere like North Korea who might lob a missile our way
if
they miss the US.  Perhaps some terrorist nutcase, but we sure as heck
won't be needing tanks for them.

There is no one that Canada could possibly need to *defend* against
using
tanks, except if you lot invade again...

These days, if we had tanks, we would only them for expiditionary
warfare
and/or to exert influence to protect our national interests.  Except
that
our current (for the past decade) government is stupid and doesn't
bother
to pay attention to that kind of thing.

Having said that, we do have tanks (a whopping 114 Leopard I's) because
we
based a mechanized brigade in Germany for decades, and they would have
fought the Soviets.  They are being phased out of service and replaced
with
105mm armed LAV-III's that the government thinks are more suitable for
the
types of operations our military gets involved in.

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Current vehicle production/use (was [VV] Vectorverse) Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?