Prev: Re: [VV] Gate Defense Next: Re: [VV] Gate defence

Re: [VV] Gate defence

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@c...>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:50:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [VV] Gate defence

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> Which actually *is* kind of relevant, since in this case the physics
are
> largely dependent on game design considerations. That is to say, while
it
> is a bit backwards it isn't *completely* backwards <g>
>
> Thing is, it *sucks* to carefully design background physics only to
realize
> that they lead to an unplayable game (eg. because your only FTL
mechanism
> is warp points leading to hysterically costly WP assaults, or because
> FTL-capable ships can appear anywhere so planets become effectively
> indefensible, or something else)... so we need to figure out what kind
of
> game (including what kind of tactics) we want the physics to allow or
> disallow BEFORE we can nail down all the details of the physics
themselves.
> And then we need to be d*mn careful so the physics don't give any
> unexpected and easily-exploitable side effects which lead to *new*
kinds of
> weapons or tactics...

	Absolutely.

	If one was, for instance, designing a new interstellar combat
	game, the important thing is *not* whether the ships are
	armed with plasma bolts, phased energy blasters, or
	polka-dotted ray projectors.

	The important thing is the damage mechanism used to
	inflict damage on the target ship.

	In other worlds, one has to focus on the *effects*,
	not the *causes*.
	http://www.projectrho.com/game/champship.html

	When Niven and Pournelle started writing THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE,
	they wanted to write a rousing space opera.  Unfortunately
	combat between spacecraft armed with nuclear weapons is
	real dull.  So they contracted physicist Dan Alderson to
	custom design a science fictional force field who's logical
	ramifications allowed exciting space combat scenes.
	In other words, just like you said, they "figured out what
	kind of game they wanted the physics to allow" and used that to
	"nail down all the details of the physics themselves."

> It is also noteworthy that Weber (who created most of the StarFire
game
> background) decided to add a non-WP FTL concept when he created his
next
> space opera series, ie. the Harrington books :-/

	I could be wrong, but I got the distinct impression
	that the Warshawski sail et. al. was designed to make
	interstellar combat that resembled something out of
	a Horatio Hornblower novel.  That is, the Age of Sail
	in three dimensions.

Prev: Re: [VV] Gate Defense Next: Re: [VV] Gate defence