Prev: Re: [VV] Gate defence Next: RE: [FH] Bradley Advance Encounters Sporadic Resistance

Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:07:50 +0100
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:29:52 -0500, laserlight@quixnet.net
<laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:
> >Q What about organic or exotic tech by PSB only? Systems are
identical in
> function (a beam is a beam, and drive is a standard drive), but the
> tech base is grown instead of constructed.
>
> I don't mind using some Phalon mechanic and perhaps maybe possibly
some SV
> rules, but I'd rather not PSB them as organic systems unless someone
comes
> up with a really, really convincing explanation as to why some humans
would
> have it and the rest wouldn't.

Physics is physics and proteins are proteins.

I have a hard time with exclusive technologies for more than a few
years.	Rockets are rockets are rockets.  Swedish rockets, Russian
rockets, American rockets, Chinese rockets, all rely on the same basic
principles and the differences are due to economic factors and the
design decisions of the team involved.	Anything that can be done can
be stolen, reverse engineered, or simply built from the ground up with
the basic knowledge that it IS possible being enough impetus to find
out how it is done.

If Jim-Bob the West Dirtballistanian Mushroom Farmer can grow Class 2
batteries in his back 40, it isn't going to be long before Bobby-Ray
the East Dirballistanian Mushroom Farmer will be growing the same
strain or better.

Presuming, of course, that the have-nots have the economic resources
to devote to developing said technology.  Obviously some problems must
be solved by throwing huge wads of cash at them (barring the eccentric
genius method).  Stealth fighters, for instance, can only be built by
the United States because right now, only the United States has the
combination of butt-loads of money to throw at the problem, facilities
in existence to build them, a strategic need for them, and scientists
who have been working with stealth concepts for decades.

Anyone else who chose to spend the money and time could develop them.
Its just that no one else has the money right now.

Unless you are postulating a situation where the gulf between powers
is as vast as the gulf between the US and the rest of the world, and
that makes for a lot of really boring games.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [VV] Gate defence Next: RE: [FH] Bradley Advance Encounters Sporadic Resistance