Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: RE: [VV} FTL discussion was RE: [VV] Vectorverse

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:04:33 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

> The GZG Digest wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:05:56 -0500 (EST)
> > From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
> >
> >    Hmm, I don't know how defendable *any* gate would really be.  The
guy on the
> >  other side can just push through large bundles of seeker missiles
and emp
> >  devices.  The attacker doesn't have to worry about hitting his own
ships at
> >  all, so he can just pump seek and destroy weapons through.
>
> I haven't been following the Vectorverse thread for a number of
reasons,
> but the latest discussion on FTL caught my interest.
>
> I read an article in _Scientific American_ a couple of years ago about
> possible FTL travel device that used a "jump gate" in an interesting
> manner. The article was about negative energy, and it postulated that
> you could use it to create a "warp bubble". The ship inside would seem

> to be in normal space, but the bubble itself could travel at faster
than
> light speeds.
>
> You needed a device to create the bubble around the ship in the first
> place. That would be your jump gate. The ship needed some method of
> maintaining the bubble (in FT terms this would be the FTL drive,
though
> it doesn't actually "drive" the ship anywhere). Once formed, the
bubble
> would travel in a straight line. I'm not sure how it regulated speed,
> but I think there was a method.

   Hmm, what happens when a bubble hits an object?  I'm thinking that
you could
 put an ftl generator in an asteroid, aim it at the other guy's planet,
and
 bubble away.  Worst case scenario: the other guys can make huge rocks
moving
 at significant "normal" speeds pop out of the bubble just outside of
your
 planet's atmosphere.  Nasty!

  grant

Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: RE: [VV} FTL discussion was RE: [VV] Vectorverse