Prev: Re: One view Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:26:13 +1100
Subject: RE: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

G'day,

> I'm wondering if perhaps it would be better to have only two modes of
> FTL?	A lot of the interesting situations in history have arisen when
> one culture developed a new mode of transportation, and ran into
> another culture which didn't have that mode....

You could say that of any tech - look what happened when the "we've had
explosives for centuries" chinese gave it to their backward western
neighbours...

> If that's the key point, we want to make the contrast between the two
> modes as sharp as possible, and I'd think that would work better when
> we're contrasting "A vs B", rather than "A vs B and A vs C and B vs C
> and AB vs C and AC vs B and..."

I disagree. From my point of creative view you have richer potential
with the three as it allows for more options and for more background
room to talk about how different groups got there (or choose to stay
there... Glen after 4 hours in LAX customs last transit, as they tried
to figure how to get a complete finger print when I only have partials
due to agricultural accident as a kid, I was beginning to wonder if a
slow boat would've been faster!!!). You can still have distinct
contrasts and the associated extreme culture shock (A vs C), but you
also have the more subtle "just different enough for one side to assume
wrong" aspects (A vs B) that can liven up stories.

Cheers

Beth

Prev: Re: One view Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL