Prev: Re: [OT] My personal life, was Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: Re: [FH] Vectorverse - License?

Re: [FH] Vectorverse - License?

From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@b...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:14:13 -0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [FH] Vectorverse - License?

laserlight@quixnet.net said:
>>So, what sort of license is material submitted for the
>>Vectorverse going to be under? Is it going to be a Free
>>license so that other people can take and modify what has
>>been done, publishing it themselves, or is it going to be
>>something where people can add to the background, but can't
>>republish other people's content?
>
> I'd say free license, no commercial publishing except by GZG if Jon is
> interested.

A GPL (or FDL)-like license would allow anyone to publish
it commercially, including GZG, but would also allow free
re-distribution of the commercial works.

Someone could then put up a copy on Lulu or something similar
and charge for it - if only enough to cover the printing
costs.

Only GZG would of course be able to use GZG/Full Thrust
trademarks.

Personally, I'm in favour of this sort of license since
allowing commercial gain is 'more free' than not. The way
I see it, if someone goes and commercially publishes
something I've done (still under a Free license), then I
get a nicely bound copy for a reasonably cheap price -
everybody wins! :-)

If GZG can publish it under a non-redistributable license
at a later date, then that's restricting what I can do with
something I've produced, and possibly makes thing more complex
(if GZG publish a Fleet Book of these ship designs, some of
which I designed initially, can I still publish these designs
on my web site?).

--
Sam.				    http://www.glendale.org.uk