Prev: List mgmt Next: Re: [FH] Vectorverse was Re: NAC - American style

RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian@s...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:51:40 -0500
Subject: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

John K commented:

>Interesting point.  From a game perspective, if you assume that it is
>generally poor doctrine to fire GSMs at infantry (not positions!), then

>perhaps implimenting a die roll to be *allowed* to take the shot makes
>sense.
>
>Private Bob might think that popping off a GSM at the sniper is
clealrly
>the right thing to do, but since the Sarge has told him that is not
what
>his missile is for, a quality check (by the player) to have Bob fire
>against doctrine makes it somewhat less likely that Bob will be blowing

>off rounds at the infantry.

then Magic replied:

>Excellent point.  Make some sort of die roll and then
>add some factor for Private Bob when he is under fire
>from said sniper.
>
>This private Bob knew that SSG Billings would have
>come over and kicked his ass if he shot his TOW at a
>couple of troops in the open so doctrine would have
>been maintained <G>

Cool ideas!  What sort of die roll?

Squad quality die vs. leadership would be simple, but that doesn't seem
make sense (it isn't testing against the squad leader, but one of the
men
who is doing something that the platoon sergeant is going to kick his
ass
about....)

Maybe squad quality die vs. leadership, but with penalty/modifier
determined by something related to mission motivation.

For the guys who've been there, is it fair to say that more motivated
troops are more likely to be more disciplined?

If *yes* then you could have something like:

Roll QD, target is to roll higher than leadership.
Leadership is modified by
	Low motivation +1
	Medium Motivation +2
	High Motivation +3

This representing the idea that highly motivated troops are less likely
break doctrine.

I don't know if that makes sense from a "real life" perspective, but it
offers a simple mechanic.

Of course, as Beth pointed out, since it is a sci-fi game and you might
be
issuing a hundred missiles per launcher as standard load with resupply
as
easy as with normal rifle ammo, with varying doctrine will come varying
effects.

I'm just interested in a simple mechanic *assuming* it the sort of
doctrine
Bob and John are talking about.

In my games, for example, I tend to use "canon" GZG-verse, and that
tends
toward a much tighter doctrinal view than Beth's.  I have house rules
for
doing it because it seems to come up in games, but honestly never
thought
about creating a rule for preventing it happening due to
training/doctrine/etc.

Good idea :)

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: List mgmt Next: Re: [FH] Vectorverse was Re: NAC - American style