Prev: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:50:10 -0500
Subject: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

At 8:17 PM +0100 1/24/05, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

>According to the Falkland War histories I've read, those .50 cal
>crew served weapons were dug in. Firing pits are one of the types of
>"similar very restricted spaces" I mentioned in the part of my

Granted, though even if they weren't dug in, they're more of a point
target than a squad dispersed over a 50' front.

>Other than directly ahead of the ATGM, even a small mortar round has
>a considerably greater lethal effect.

I had always thought the HE was focused towards the shaped charge,
but that there was a secondary annular blast that was still not to be
shrugged at. To modern Shaped charges have any kind of restricting
material around the HE component to optimize the blast towards the
cone? Granted there generally isn't any fragmentation component on
them but even something like IPDSM is nasty to be near as they have
an area frag effect and a shaped charge piercing effect. Could a man
portable ATGM with enough diameter to it's shaped charge have a
secondary Frag effect in it's blast radius?

Gosh, thinking about the general cone shaped effect of old WWII style
artillery (HE rounds) is there a similar effect with lower velocity
ATGMs?
-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets Next: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets