Prev: Re: Platoon Ldr and Sgt in SG2 Next: Re: Platoon Ldr and Sgt in SG2

Re: FT in centimeter scale?

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:05:09 +0000
Subject: Re: FT in centimeter scale?

On Friday 21 January 2005 16:42, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> "Bland" OTOH means that the game plays the same no matter what designs
you
> use - ie., basically that you have to use the same tactics no matter
what
> your ships are armed with. Since longer-ranged weapons need to use
quite
> different tactics than short-ranged ones need in order to be
effective, and
> since larger tables gives them much more scope for actually using
these
> different tactics than small tables do, my experience is that you get
> *less* blandness (ie., *more* variation in both designs and tactics)
on
> larger tables than you get on smaller tables.

We once played a game where we practically had the wargaming club
hall to ourselves, so we used the floor. Four (largish) fleets,
two fleets a side, on an area about 6m x 6m.

We ended up with pretty much two distinct battles going on, with
some fighter support between fleets if I recall correctly. Then
one fleet was destroyed, and the victor started moving in to
support their ally. It was quite interesting, and definitely the
sort of battle I'd like to try again.

Lots of FT battles end up as two fleets advancing towards each
other until one is destroyed. Ships can manoeuvre, but the fleets
are generally constrained from doing so.

It would be nice to have some long range weapons other than fighters.
Even missiles only have a range of about 54".

--
Be seeing you,				   http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.					jabber: samuel.penn@jabber.org

Prev: Re: Platoon Ldr and Sgt in SG2 Next: Re: Platoon Ldr and Sgt in SG2