Prev: Re: FT in centimeter scale? Next: BSG 2003 was Re: The NAC Navy Hymn

Re: NAC - American style [LONG]

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:43:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: NAC - American style [LONG]

--- Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:

> I *would* like to see an alternate universe/history developed and
> generally agreed to by the List, for use by those who get enough of
> the Earth and its nations in Real Life and don't need to be reminded
> of it on the tabletop

Several settings do away with Earth-nations through several mechanisms.

1) earth is a single united gov and other powers are either aliens or
nations based on former colonies, eg Star Trek, B5, Honor Harrington,
March Upcountry/to the Sea/to the Stars, Battletech/Star League,
Space:AAB

2) earth is insignificant or "Earth go BOOM" (or splat), eg Andromeda

3) earth is not involved, eg Star Wars, BSG

In case 1, Earth/Humanity can be one amongst approx equals, or can be a
lone superpower whom everyone else avoids (eg Honor Harrington), or can
be an underdog who struggles to avoid getting its ass kicked

Our home grown setting is "earth go SPLAT", and former colonies pick up
where they left off, but with many co-equal antagonists/allies based on
national groups, ie no EU, asian, or NorAm superblocks, but British,
American, French, German, Russian, Japanese, Chinese etc., kind of
1840-1910-ish.	We hold the flavor of traditional Naval naming
conventions, but add some that never made it to sea, eg American
state-named /Japanese province-named capital ships supplimented by
colony names, traditional British capital-ship names supplimented by
battles and Admirals of WW1 and WW2, etc.

Another option might be to go along the lines of Battletech but pick up
after the formation of the Terran Hegemony but before the formation of
the 5 houses, so there are a couple of dozen multi-system nations
jocking for dominance amongst the many colony worlds, but united earth
is not a superpower.  This gives ready-made nation-names and spatial
relationships.

Prev: Re: FT in centimeter scale? Next: BSG 2003 was Re: The NAC Navy Hymn