Prev: Re: Outbound Next: Re: Outbound

Re: NAC - American style [LONG]

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:35:18 -0500
Subject: Re: NAC - American style [LONG]

laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:

>>New thought: -- maybe Jon's timeline is more interesting (to players)
>>

>than Jon expected.  Might explain why most player histories are
>variations of it.  (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
>
>I think it's more that the GZGverse is widely known among the players
and
>people would rather have something familiar, in part because more
people
>are going to be interested.  I pay attention to the the NAC, NSL etc
>because I know I'll have opponents who use them; I don't pay attention
to the People's Republic of Mars because I won't see them on the table.

And see how others interpret the GZGverse.

>And I suspect people stick close to the GZGverse because it's less
work.
>That's we we see a lot of "It's the regular GZGverse except X", where X
is
>"YANBAC" or "Yet Another New Confederacy" or adding a new planet or two
>(Alarishi Empire, New Israeli, New Nepal, whatever).  Even then, many
of
>the new additions aren't what I would call overwhelmingly creative--and
>again, that may be because it's easier to say "add New Dixie" instead
of
>"This is what happens when you add Rajput, Kikuyu, Uzbek and Tlingit
people
>together"

It occures to me that it may be more difficult to come up with something

really creative, because of all of the scifi  that has been around.
When someone says Empire lots of peaple tend to think of Starwars, or
Traveller.  "Federation" brings up Star Trek, ect.

With Jon's Timeline, most of the work has been done for you.

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Outbound Next: Re: Outbound