Prev: [OT] Even for ME Re: [FH] Breaking News - Alien voices Next: Re: couple moreFT questions

Re: couple moreFT questions

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:55:58 -0500
Subject: Re: couple moreFT questions

From: "Andy Skinner"
>  How necessary is it to have scenarios for games where fleets aren't
similar in make-up, though they cost the same in points?

In the situation you describe, the big ship is at an advantage.  If
you're using NPV, it's a good idea to keep fleets similar in
composition.  If you're using CPV, then it shouldn't matter, as the
points value accounts for the increased value of bigger ships (up to a
point--if you meant 400 mass rather than 400 points, then it would
probably cost more than it's actually worth).  Combat Points Value can
be found on Noam's website, IIRC http://nift.firedrake.org in the
Weapons and Defenses Archive.

>The rule is you can spin freely as long as your engine works, right?

Yes, at the moment.  That will almost certainly change in the next
edition, though; it is recommended that a ship at speed 0 have its
normal turning ability (thus a 30 degree turn if he's Thrust 2) rather
than spinning freely.

> I'd love to have a single FT rulebook with the best version of each
system in it.

So would we all.  It's coming.

> I'm still interested in what's in the fleet packs from GZG.  I was
thinking of getting a battle squadron and a carrier group.
> Does that make sense?  I don't know how that compares with picking
out ships individually.

I'd get two battle packs and I wouldn't get a carrier--but I don't
like fighters, so YMMV.  And if you use a lot of fighters, you'll find
there's a problem with the present rules--the playtest group is
laboring to resolve this issue.

As I recall, a battle pack is a bit cheaper than picking out the ships
individually.

Prev: [OT] Even for ME Re: [FH] Breaking News - Alien voices Next: Re: couple moreFT questions