Prev: Re: NAC - American style [LONG] Next: RE: No longer Re: [CON] ECC VIII

Re: [FH] Breaking News - KraVak attacks in Sol System

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@c...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:33:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [FH] Breaking News - KraVak attacks in Sol System

Doug Evans wrote:
> True, but, while I'm no scientist of any kind, and certainly not a
> physicist/astronomer, every time the discussion turns to 'we'll just
throw
> some rocks', my limited understanding of orbital mechanics and the
masses
> involved just rebels.

	More to the point, in a universe where altering the orbits
	of asteroids was possible, you can be quite sure that all
	space-faring nations will have a branch of their astromilitary
	that is some species of "orbit guard".	They will be charged
	with preventing unauthorized asteroid diversion.

	Whether this takes the form of patrols and bases near
	likely asteroid belts and small moons, or just close
	monitoring of all such bodies by telescopes and radar, or
	something in between, is left as an exercise for the
	reader.

	But it is difficult to deny that such a military branch
	will exist, since it is considered an axiom that
	the military does not deal with what an enemy is likely
	to do, but instead with everything an enemy is *capable*
	of doing.

	Obviously if the universe does not allow altering
	the orbits of asteroids, there will be no orbit guard.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3c2.html#massdriver
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3s.html

Prev: Re: NAC - American style [LONG] Next: RE: No longer Re: [CON] ECC VIII