Prev: Re: [Whinging] and [List] Re: [CON] ECC VIII Next: RE: RE: [CON] ECC VIII

Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:51:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Crew quality house rules

--- John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only way to get good at doing your job in the military is to go
> out and do it in practice.  You only get good at driving tanks if you
> go take your tanks and drive them around to get a feel for how they
> handle.
>
> Simillarly, you only become a good seaman (or starman) by getting in
> a ship and going out and handling it in Real World seas with Real
> World weather.  And running drills for contingencies and combat
> operations requires a working ship in the first place.

As I understand it, part of the decline of the Revolutionar French Navy
was because the RN blockaded them in their ports, so that the new
conscripts and non-guillotined officers never got to practice and thus
performed terribly when they did sortie.

Prev: Re: [Whinging] and [List] Re: [CON] ECC VIII Next: RE: RE: [CON] ECC VIII