Prev: Re: RE: [Long] Re: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question.... Next: Re: [FH]

Re: [FH]

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:12:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FH]

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> Or does anyone have any thoughts on mars in the gzg future history?

I've been thinking of Mars as a bit of a backwater, but (by the 2180s) a
well-populated backwater.

My thinking is this: with FTL coming so early in the GZGverse, why go to
Mars when you can head out-system to a more Earthlike planet? If you can
build a Mars-capable ship, you can stick an FTL drive to it and get
out-system instead...

So Mars is sort of forgotten; there's been enough immigration there to
get
a healthy hetrogenous population going; most of the Powers own territory
there, as well a a lot of little groups who went there because it was
cheap, close to Earth, and had (relatively) uncontested real estate.

I was sort of seeing a few big swathes of territory - an NAC Dominion or
two, etc - and, esp. in the badlands areas, lots of little domed or
underground 'city-state' colonies, squabbling with each other. Plus,
Mars
being in Sol system, there's the various UN-enforced Core Worlds
treaties,
so the UNSC/UN Marines/etc get involved.

Oh, and just enough terraforming to screw up the weather, but not enough
yet to get breathable air.

So, we get lots of small groups wandering around the badlands, heavily
armed, under a permanent sandstorm that screws up airpower and most
orbital recon. Sounds like a great SG2 setup!

My UNSC 'Martian Legion' 25mm troopers are here:
www.warbard.ca/sg2gallery3.html

Brian.

Prev: Re: RE: [Long] Re: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question.... Next: Re: [FH]