Prev: Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs Next: RE: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs)

Re: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs)

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:25:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs)

> How about naming the classes, or individual ships, after certain
Suras
> (sp?) from the Koran? I'm sure that there are passages that would
make for
> appropriately martial/bombastic/subtle warship names.

Mostly not.  The titles of the surahs are things like "The Cow" and
"The Mountain" and "The Women".

By the way, current Saudi navy classes include things like:
Madina (major city)
Badr (means "moon" but I assume it's referring to the battle of Badr,
a Moslem victory)
al Siddiq (companion of the Prophet)
Damman (port city)
al Jawf (region)
Safwa (city, as I recall)

There's also an Afif class.  Afif is a masculine name meaning
"chaste", so I suppose for the CL we could use personal
characteristics: Amin (Faithful), Alim (Learned), Ashraf (Honorable)
and so forth.

Prev: Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs Next: RE: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs)