Prev: Re: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs) Next: RE: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs

Re: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs)

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:53:14 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs)

*snip*
>>one word, why not a phrase? Those who study their holy text would know
the
>>implications/importance of each name.

However, they'd tend to get shortened fairly quick. Dreadnought, of
course,
comes from the phrase 'Fear God and Dread Nought'. I'm not sure if
that's
actually out of the bible, though.

Heck, USS Wisconsin, I believe, became 'Old Wisc'.

>"Sir, we're being hailed by the '111.3'."

>(flip flip flip)

>"'He shall soon burn in fire that flames.' Knew I should have stayed in
>bed this morning."

'He burns'? 'He in fire that flames'? Without knowing the original
language, it's hard to say what is a good abbreviating; the whole phrase
may be short enough, though.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [FT] Naming Islamic Fed ships (was Re: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs) Next: RE: [FT] Islamic Fed SSDs