Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question Next: RE: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question

RE: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question

From: "david smith" <bifsmith207@h...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:14:31 +0000
Subject: RE: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question

>From: "B Lin" <lin@rxkinetix.com>
>Actually the sphere is the best shape for surface area to volume
>considerations>
>Reading about UPS's (United Parcel Service) current commitment to
further
>streamline their package delivery process to include shipping
infomation
>directly inputted by the sender (weight, size etc) they will be able to

>plan where a package will be located within a specific truck to
optimise
>packing space and delivery order.  In the future, I would assume that
such
>abilities will be routine and with future tech RFID's, routing and
tracking
>materials across the galaxy through multiple transitions will be a
common
>event. So transport would look something like a bunch of cargo modules
that
>can be attached and detached like train-cars or legos at will, and at
each
>stop, the appropriate modules will be removed and added as necessary.

This would work IF you had information on what cargo you will be picking
up.
BUT, I think the assumption is in the FT universe there is no FTL
communicaton outside messages carried by ships (cannot remember if it is

stated, but beleive it is implied). With no communication beforehand,
planning the most effecient use of you cargo space becomes more
problematic.
I would expect the use of ISO (intergalactic standard organisation)
containeirs as is used at present for shipping. If you cannot plan
effecient
use of the cargo space (as above) in a ship on one planet, there would
be no
hope in a interpanetary scale.

BIF

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question Next: RE: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question