Prev: RE: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention - Call for Events Next: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention - Call for Events

Photos: 15mm Ainsty SCI-FI

From: "Robin Fitton" <contactrobin@h...>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:11:51 -0000
Subject: Photos: 15mm Ainsty SCI-FI

Hi All,

Inspired by the expanding range, and my expanding collection, of GZG
15mm
SCI-FI figures I revisited the Ainsty "Down Below" range which looks
just
right for 15mm gaming.

I re-mortgaged the house and shortly took delivery of a large set of
resin
corridors and floor plates, all of which were very sharp, clean and with
almost no tidy work required to get them built. I have since put in a
second
order to complete the complex I am working on because my grand scheme
used
more tiles than expected!  I am going for a generic setup and will be
building an "outside", possibly sandy red Martian style set of boards
around
the air-locked complex.  I am aiming for the feel and look of the old
XCOM
games on the Amiga.

The story so far:

1 / Using washing up liquid I washed and scrubbed every piece of resin
and
let it dry.
2/ I decided on MDF to mount them and on the recommendation of Ainsty
settled on 30x30cm squares.  Homebase (UK DIY store) supplied the 12mm
MDF
board. They cut the board into 30x30cm squares for me, which does cost
50p
per cut after the first three "free" cuts.  I think it is worth paying
for
the cutting service -  I would never be able to get the squares exact.
3/ I used Unibond "No More Nails" to glue the tiles to the board. It
gave me
enough time to move the tiles around as I  mounted them and was also
sticky
enough to stop every other tile shifting around as you push down.

Issues:  My 30x30cm boards are exactly correct, give or take the odd
millimetre. The Ainsty tiles which are all based on increments of 3cm
are
not so exact which leaves you with some extra plasti-card work to
complete
before you can spray the resin.  It is not a big deal more of a minor
annoyance - I will visit my local craft store this week..

The first phase of construction is over and here are the photos:

http://www.rottenlead.com/copper/thumbnails.php?album=15

Regards
Robin
http://www.rottenlead.com

Prev: RE: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention - Call for Events Next: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention - Call for Events