Prev: Re: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG] reply to comments Next: OUDF designs

Re: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG] reply to comments

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:40:19 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG] reply to comments

***
I've read the comments to my post, mostly by Doug Evans & B Lin.  So,
let
me make a final defense of the debris reef harbour over the conventional
mine field...
***
...snip...
***
I merely offer the option of a debris reef as part of a PERMANENT
defense
structure for a star system with strategic value to a nation.
***

Not sure I think it needs defense; both Birhan and I accept it, though
with
differing opinions as to how common its usage might be.

While extrapolation has been proven dangerous historically and in our
own
discussions, as a final thought I'd point out that the permanence of
large
quantities of mines is a major problem today. For the volumes of
material
you suggest in the reefs, sweeping similar quantities/masses/costs of
mines
might not be a trivial prospect.

I certainly agree the image of the spiral reefs is quite intriguing!

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG] reply to comments Next: OUDF designs