Prev: Re: Piquet Next: [FT] The knight who sees NI (long)

Re: Attachments, HTML, and Some Digest Replies

From: DOCAgren@a...
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:07:48 EDT
Subject: Re: Attachments, HTML, and Some Digest Replies

In a message dated 10/8/04 2:57:16 AM,
owner-gzg-digest@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU writes:

> From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: Attachments, HTML, and Some Digest Replies
>
> As you probably know by now, I only get the digest of the list. It's
> readily noticeable that some of the members on the list have their
e-mail
> programs set to send HTML. This is easy to do if you use AOL, Hotmail,
or
> MS Outlook. The problem is that you end up sending your message twice,
> along with a lot of useless bumf.
>
> Not to name names, but here's a sample.
>
> The original, text version of a message included this:
>
> > In a message dated 10/5/04 2:01:00 AM,=20
> > owner-gzg-digest@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU writes:
> >

> > >=20
> > > Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:38:49 +0200
> > > From: Frits Kuijlman <frits@kuijlman.net>
>
> Later on, the following was added to the message due to sending HTML,
> too:
>
> > - --part1_12b.4d44bc01.2e94189d_boundary
> >

> FACE=3D"Gen=
> > eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">
>
> > In a message dated 10/5/04 2:01:00 AM, owner-gzg-
> digest@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.=
> > EDU writes:
>

> > <BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid;
MARGIN-LEFT:
> 5px;=20=
> > MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" TYPE=3D"CITE">COLOR=3D"#0=
> > 00000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">
>
> > Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:38:49 +0200
>
> > From: Frits Kuijlman &lt;frits@kuijlman.net&gt;
>

> I can't speak for all of us receiving the digest, but I know I would
> appreciate it if folks could turn off sending HTML to the mailing
list. I
> know from past experience that most people don't know their e-mailer
is
> doing it.
>
> On another topic, for two days now the digest received an e-mail from
Doc
> Agren with the subject "[ft] Revised Viggen Spinal Mount" that seems
> include an attachment. I don't know if the mailing list is filtering
> these out, but they are getting through to the digest.
>
> The GZG mailing list is a "no attachments" list. This has been the
policy
> (mostly unofficially) since I joined back in '96. A lot of folks on
the
> list are from outside of North America where they often have to pay
per
> minute of connect time. Attachments, particularly of images, can cause
> all sorts of problems for people with slow dial up. Now that a buffer
> overflow exploit was found in the way some Microsoft (and other
> manufacturer) products handle JPEGs, and the first malicious use of
JPEGs
> has been found "in the field", it's a good idea for security sake not
> send pictures to the mailing list.

Unfortantly I no longer can turn off HTML, as far as anyone, including
AOL
themselves, can tell AOL 10.2 for Mac OSX dosn't have the ability to do
plain
text.	So if any expert has the answer please let me know off list

And for your information there was no attachment to the list, just a
straight
email show a new weapon system based on earlier feedback given.   That
for
some reason shows up perfect in the archives, but arrived all messed up
in the
digest, which is the same form I read it in too.
http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/200410/msg00040.html

Have a Good One,

DOC Agren

     (Lurker on the Digest)

DO NOT HATE THE WARRIOR,
if you hate the war.

Prev: Re: Piquet Next: [FT] The knight who sees NI (long)