Prev: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet Next: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:16:00 -0500
Subject: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

>>Grossman is, from what I recall, dealing mostly with 'Mericans and
extrapolates to the rest of the world.<<

Not really, while a great many of the references he cites are American,
there's roughly an equal amount that are addressing non-Merkins. (The
balance admittedly being to Merkin accounts and studies)

He's also looking a much more than what we're talking about here. For
that,
you need to pick up _The psychology of conflict and combat_ by Ben
Shalit, a
former Israeli military psychologist, whom Grossman references a number
of
times.	Grossmen also looks at archeo-historical data as well, with
interesting results.

In any case, Grossman is primarily addressing the development of PTSD -
and
makes some excellent points in his 'Grossman Equation' where he looks at
the
'chances' for a person to make a specific, directed and personal kill.

>>In short, I find it highly unlikely that any but the worst-trained
levies are going to sit and chill with good targets in front of them.
Besides which, motivating people to pull triggers is NCO business at
the fireteam/squad level, and not appropriate subject matter for a
wargame at the platoon/company level.<<

Probably one of the best points of this discussion.

David

Prev: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet Next: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet