Prev: Re: X-Prize Screen captures! Next: Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:12:18 -0600
Subject: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

Allan,
	Some of your examples support the points of where Piquet fails
in the initative department:

1) Howard was a known negative factor and Hooker attempted to compensate
by moving Reynolds to cover the flank, in Piquet you have no idea which
units you are going to be able to move until you get some initative
points to do something.  You can not compensate for a known break in the
command, because there is no fore knowledge of the weak points in your
command structure.  When you do send orders to any unit, they will
execute your orders, not 1-3 turns from now, but this turn.

2)  Hooker made a rapid decision to reinforce Howard's flank - the
decision was made and the orders issued.  But Reynolds did not receive
the appropriate information (orders) until it was too late.  Again, the
decision for action was made quickly, but the reception of those orders
lagged.  I'm sure Reynolds did not sit on the orders for hours after
receiving them, but executed as soon as was possible.

3) Hooker ordered Sedgwick to take Lee in the rear, again he made the
decision quickly but as you pointed out, he did not emphasize speed
enough and Sedgwick was a day late.  If Sedgwick had understood Hooker's
emphasis, perhaps he might have moved faster - again it is an issue of
complete information in a timely manner.

There is a difference between a known problem and a known possibility of
a problem.  For instance a rifle that jams 10% of the time in a
firefight and taking a couple of minutes to unjam is different than
having 10% of your rifles out of action due to manufacturing problems.
In the first case, you might have 100 rifles with the overall effect
being that you get 90% of rated firepower, in the second case you field
90 rifles out of a possible 100 so you get 90% rated firepower.  It
appears the same, until you are the guy at the sharp end of the stick.
Would you have more confidence in a firearm that jams 10% of the time or
one that jams rarely?  If you know 10% of your rifles are sidelined, you
can take steps to alleviate or bypass the problem - perhaps of the 10
sidelined you can scrounge enough parts to make a few more work, perhaps
knowing that 10% of rifles orderded are defective so you increase your
order by 10% to compensate.  If the rifles just jam randomly, then your!
  guys are just screwed in a firefight they have to take their chances.

So at a company level it appears that there is no difference - whether
the problem is random statistical chance or a delineated subset of the
whole, but in practice it makes a world of difference.	Piquet's
initiative is another example.	It generates results similar to
historical results, but how it does it doesn't necessarily correlate
with how those results were achieved in the historical example.  In
Piquet, a unit may sit and do nothing because you don't have enough
action points, which is very different than a unit that doesn't move
because it never received its orders or it's commander is ignoring
orders.  In Piquet, if you get initative points, you can move any unit
you want to.  In historical battles, you have stubborn commanders who
will subvert, delay or plain ignore your orders and will not move under
any circumstances or will move in a manner contrary to your orders.

Ideally an initative system would be moot, because the individiual unit
actions will generate "initiative".  If you give the orders and they are
all carried out, then you have the "initative".  If you give orders and
they aren't carried out, then you don't have the initiative.  Factors
such as communication speed and clarity should also play a role in
determining those effects.

--Binhan