Prev: More info, incl videos, about new assault rifle Next: Question about subject changing

Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:43:13 -0400
Subject: Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

In message
<F4783C94B5D9F1479D984ABC31C264355CD280@rxgen2s1.rxkinetix.com>, "B
Lin" writes:
> Since both players roll an opposed d20 and the winner gets the
> difference in act ivations, it can generate numbers from 0 to 19.  If
> a player is lucky and rolls several high numbers in a row, the
> opponent essentially can't move or perform actions for several turns.

This is true of how the rules are written (although rare), but it is an
arbitrary mechanism to assign points.  There are *MANY* others, using
not only dice but also cards and dominoes.  Most of these alternate
mechanisms are designed to give a less drastic swing in scores.  This is
not really a fair criticism of Piquet as a whole, IMO.

In message <200409280310.i8S3ArFi008424@b.mail.sonic.net>, "Katrina
Brown" writ
es:
> The key issue I have seen with PK (I have never played) is that it is
> geared to 1-2 players, and my in my crew it we want 6-8 players.

Piquet is widely played by larger groups.  The best Piquet games I've
been in have been 6-8 player games at Historicon.  I'm not sure if the
rules themselves address multiplayer mechanisms, but 5 mins on the
Piquet yahoo group will give you lots of ideas.

Prev: More info, incl videos, about new assault rifle Next: Question about subject changing