Prev: Re: Teutoburger Wald was: Tech Levels Next: Re: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

RE: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
> G'day guys,
>
> A question for those more learned in military history than I. What
> battles can you name where a technologically inferior force has
> beaten a force equipped with technologically superior equpipment? I
> don't know much about modern history but I have the impression (may
be
> erroneously) that the Vietnamese vs the French for one and the
Soviets
> beating the Nazis for another probably fall into that basket (at
least
> for parts of the war). So for those cases where an inferior army has
> come out, has it required particularly gifted leaders or specific
> terrain cirumstances (like guerrilla fighting) to pull it off?

And almost always a crushing numerical superiority, like 10:1, 20:1, or
more.  And not just in men, but also materiel (e.g. Shermans vs.
Panthers and Tigers).

For reference, late soviet (1980's) doctrine called for attacking
forces to have 1 artillery piece per 5 METERS of front.  In DS2 terms,
that would be 960 guns to support an attack down the length of a 4'x6'
table.
:o

Prev: Re: Teutoburger Wald was: Tech Levels Next: Re: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)