Prev: Re: [FT] 3arc B1 and PDS Next: Re: [FT] 3arc B1 and PDS

Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:18:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

--- John K Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, J L Hilal wrote:
> > 5)	I agree that the range of tech levels should be expanded.  We
> > use the following:
> > d4 = Inferior or Antiquated systems
> > d6 = Basic, Poor, or Obsolescent systems
> > d8 = Standard systems
> > d10 = Enhanced systms
> > d12 = Superior systems
> >
> > We assign a "Tech level" to a force, then carry that throughout the
> > systems.
> >

> Is there anything beyond "cause I wanted to" to enforce that a force
> is consistant?  Do I get any kind of bonus in numbers or somewhere
> else for a force of inferior/antiquated systems?

That depends.  If your force is Inferior Tech level, then the only
bonus you would get would be if you are costing the vehicles with the
optional points system.  Otherwise it lies in the scenario set-up.  If,
on the other hand, you are a Standard Tech Force, and you equip your
vehicles with Antiquated Systems, then you will also realize a (small)
savings in capacity on each vehicle.

>  Is there no option
> for upgrades in design during a campaign?  If I'm running with
> essentiall[y] WWII vehicles, but come up with a more modern vehicle
> design with better targeting systems (Basic) due to my scavenging
from
> my technologically advanced enemys losses, can I not field a few
> "brand spanking new super duper almost as good as theirs" tanks? :)

Advancing your Tech Level is part of the Dirtside Campaign System
(TBA), and is beyond the scope of this post :)

However, you can always build more capability into your vehicle, just
pay more capacity (see below).

For reference, it took the USSR 2 years of intense effort to build a
B-29ski by reverse engineering three interned B-29's.  The odds of you
reverse engineering a Martian Mk. 2465464 Fire Control System are nil.

> If so, great, but kind of invalidates the statement above.  If not,
> I'd sure like to hear some reaosning.
>
> In the forces I field now, I vary the "tech level" of FCS in order to
> differentiate between my more modern combat vechiles, or between ones
> which have weapons, but are not MBTs or front line units.  I sure
> wouldn't want to lose that option.

So MBT-2150 is Enhanced (d10), MBT-2120 has systems filling identical
capacity but produce d8, and MBT-2080 uses d6.	IFV-2150 is also d10,
but APC-2150 has intentionally less capable (and smaller) d8 systems,
leaving extra capacity for troops.  (see below)

> > In a revised construction system, I would like to see the capacity
> > a system takes up tied to both the system's Quality as well as the
> > tech level of the force it represents.  E.g. if Force A has
> > Standard Quality technology and Force B uses Enhanced Quality
> > technology, then a system which takes up 2 capacity for Force A
> > (having a d8 QD) should also take up 2 capacity for Force B (but
> > use a d10).  Force B's higher tech base allows them an advantage.
> > This does not prevent Force A from making a d10 quality system,
> > but then it takes up more capacity than Force B's system with
> > equivalent capabilities.
> >

> This is a cool idea.

Thanks

Prev: Re: [FT] 3arc B1 and PDS Next: Re: [FT] 3arc B1 and PDS